Author Topic: Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_strpos()  (Read 271745 times)

Offline nigelbb

• View Profile
Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_strpos()
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:23 AM »
I just purchased & installed the latest version of WordPress for Joomla but have a big problem. Everything looks fine, I can access the WordPress admin etc from the backend but when I add a menu item for WordPress then when I click that link I get the error
Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_strpos() in /home/barkersp/public_html/libraries/phputf8/mbstring/core.php on line 30

This is with Joomla 1.5.22 I spent hours yesterday trying to figure out what the problem was with my live site but have now created a test site that also exhibits the same problem. Perhaps it's an incompatibility with Joomla 1.5.22? Either way I am not very happy having spent my money & wasted an evening & still not have WordPress working on my site.

You can see the problem in action at http://www.barkersproductions.com

I will log a support ticket but thought that I would post here just in case anyone has any ideas for a quick fix.

Cheers

Nigel

Offline Andy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_strpos()
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 06:22 AM »
This is a common PHP function.  It appears your web host does not have the mbstring PHP extension installed (you can tell if it is by running phpinfo(); and looking for the mention of mbstring).

Kindest regards,
Andy Poorman - Support Manager / Developer
http://www.corephp.com'corePHP' - Accessibility Experts

— Professional Support: Support Tickets

Offline nigelbb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:27 PM »
mb_strpos()  may be a common PHP function but it is not installed by default at least not on my standard server setup of Apache2, MySQL5, and PHP5 on CentOS5.5, & cPanel 11.

I reconfigured & rebuilt Apache & PHP & now all is working.

I host a variety of Joomla sites on my server & have never encountered this problem before. As this function was not required for the previous version of WordPress for Joomla a note in your installation guide to check that this function is available on the server before installing could have saved me a lot of time & hassle.

Offline Andy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 04:37 AM »
I'm sorry you had a negative experience with our product but note the file location; the function in question is part of a Joomla library that comes installed in default Joomla installations (even prior to our component being installed).

Kindest regards,
Andy Poorman - Support Manager / Developer
http://www.corephp.com'corePHP' - Accessibility Experts

— Professional Support: Support Tickets

Offline nigelbb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 04:54 AM »
That's true. It's odd that it's never been called by any other Joomla component until now as this same server configuration has been hosting a bunch of websites with lots of different components including an older version of WordPress for Joomla. Anyway it's all sorted now & hopefully if someone else encounters the same problem this thread will quickly point them in the right direction for a fix.

Offline spkar

• 'corePHP' - Unlock your Full Potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 10:23 AM »
This is a joomla file. I just copied core.php to tht directory and it start working. But my problem is different.
Here is what I had posted on joomla fourm. Hoping someone will help me out.
--------------
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=578203&p=2357824

Warning: require_once(/home/xxx/public_html/libraries/phputf8/mbstring/core.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/xxx/public_html/libraries/phputf8/utf8.php on line 62

Here is the problem.
I was hosting 24 joomla sites with one of the host. While chating with their support, they misunderstood and deleted my entire reseller package. When it was backed up, none of my 24 joomla and 5 other php sites were working. When they restored, I got my sites but none of them were working.

When I went to /libraries/phputf8/mbstring, I saw core.php was missing. I manually copied that file from my own backups and sites start working.

I changed the host, got most advanced hosting options, everything seems to be working.
But this not the end of the story. It worked for few days.
Just got a call from my client and he reported that his sites are down. Again, core.php gone missing from 10 of the joomla sites. Some of the sites are on 1.5.22 and some of them are on 1.5.9 to 1.5.18.
Let me know if anyone encountered the same problem and what is the fix.
Thanks