Amazon is the first site that most online shoppers visit when they want to buy any product. Reports show that customers are twice as likely to begin their search on Amazon instead of on Google.
If you are in the process of setting up your e-commerce site, advertising on Amazon is one of your top options when you want to maximize your revenue, even if you are not selling on the platform. Here are some great tips that you can use:
Create compelling and optimized product detail pages
Remember that your ads are only as good as your product detail pages. Even when your shoppers are compelled by your ads to visit your product detail pages, the information that you have on there is what will ultimately convert them into customers.
Keep these considerations in mind when crafting your product detail pages:
- Focus on writing the best descriptions possible. Your titles should be long and specific so that shoppers can easily differentiate your products from shorter, more generic products that are similar to yours.
- Remember that longer titles will have more search keywords embedded, which increases the chances of your product getting found by shoppers.
- As much as possible, get all the important keywords in the title, bullet points, and Amazon’s keyword field. If a particular keyword does not fit anywhere else, you should then place it in your description.
- You should always optimize your product detail page not just for Amazon search, but also for Google. Shoppers may be more likely to use Amazon’s search function more, but there is still a significant percentage using Google.
- Use high-quality images and relevant product information.
Run social media campaigns
It can be easy to just depend on Amazon’s platform to run and optimize your campaign. However, you should not forget that the right audience can come from a wide variety of platforms, including social media.
Social media sites such as Instagram and Facebook can help drive quality traffic to your Amazon product listings. If you have no idea where to start, considering enlisting the help of professional Amazon advertising services. They can help you identify and convert your target audience by running effective social media campaigns.
Use both automatic and manual targeting
When creating an Amazon advertising campaign, you have two choices when it comes to targeting: automatic or manual. Here are some crucial points to remember about each type:
- Automatic Targeting
- Automatic targeting allows you to cover an extensive range of search terms that you may not have come across even while you’re doing your keyword search. It is also a time-saver since Amazon will do all the keyword generation work for you.
- Choosing this type, however, means that you won’t be able to control your bids.
- Manual Targeting
- With manual targeting, you can easily control the search terms that your products show for. You are also able to set bids depending on ad groups or keywords, so you are better able to optimize the campaign based on performance.
- However, using this type also means that you might miss out on search terms that don’t match the keywords you choose.
Many advertisers choose to run only one type of campaign. However, a good strategy is to use both to complement each other. By running both types, you can create a manual targeting campaign that you can optimize based on performance. At the same time, you can also implement an automatic targeting campaign that will serve as a catch-all for keywords.
Check out your visitor data, and if there are search terms that are performing well on your automatic targeting campaign, you can add that as a keyword in your manual targeting campaign.
Use category-specific targeting
Amazon’s Sponsored Products is the most popular advertising option right now. These ads appear above, below, and alongside search results. You can even see them on the product detail pages. The best thing about it is that you can use category-specific targeting, which means that your products will get paired with complementary products.
Here are some reasons to use product attribute targeting:
- Because you show up in the ads next to products that are related to yours, you can increase the odds of converting shoppers.
- If you want your ads to show up as an alternative to top-rated or bestseller products, you can use this method to target shoppers who are considering purchasing such products.
- You can also use this method to show your ads alongside your competitors’ products or brands.
When considering which keywords to use for your campaign, consider your competition. Amazon allows you to bid on keywords that include the brand names of your competitors. For instance, if you sell sneakers, you can use keywords such as Nike shoes or Adidas shoes.
While many people consider this as a gray area, remember that there is no policy against using competitor brand terms in Amazon Campaigns. You are not violating any direct policy on the platform.
Another thing to remember is that you should also bid on your brand. You might think that this seems irrational. After all, why should you pay to have people click on your sponsored products when they can just click your organic results right below it?
However, keep in mind that your competitors might take advantage of your inaction and steal your sales right out from under your nose. Bidding on your brand will help you protect your brand’s sales.
Match Types and Negative Keywords
Negative keywords help you prevent paying for random or accidental clicks. For example, if you are selling laptops, you don’t want to show up for search terms like “office personal computers,” “desktop computers,” or “PC for sale.” If a shopper is looking at desktop computers and clicks on your ad, you’ll be paying for someone who is entirely uninterested in your product.
At the same time, keep in mind that adding too many negative keywords can be detrimental to your campaign. You want to reserve the negative exact match and negative phrase options either at the Ad Group or Campaign level to prevent hindering the terms that your products can rank for.
Setting up your brand on Amazon can be tough work, and working on advertising campaigns is only half the battle. By following the tips above, you can reach a larger audience, boost your sales, and increase your customer base. These are actionable strategies that are already tried and tested to help catapult your brand to success.