Community ACL is a powerful tool for Joomla! 1.5 framework enhancing the basic ACL levels that was shipped with Joomla! 1.5. The software provides our customers the ability to manage their site user’s ACL levels with it’s powerful and intuitive interface. Over the past 2 years Community ACL has been the superior choice for our customers and Joomla! users allowing for it to be a staple part of ‘corePHP’ online business. Today we announce the official release of Community ACL on github, so now you can get our flagship $79/yr product for free!
So what does all of this mean?
‘corePHP’ is moving Community ACL to github for the following reasons:
- Joomla! 1.5 end of life is April 2012 and future development of all of our Joomla! 1.5 products will end as well.
- Joomla 1.6+ now has a basic ACL which fills the needs of many people.
- Many people have expressed taking the engine of Community ACL and enhancing it for their own needs or taking the concept of Community ACL and making it available for the current implementation of Joomla! 1.7 and beyond.
- It is time to move on! We see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is time to exit early and we want to properly do that allowing the product to be available for our customers and users.
I know there are a few questions about this new approach from ‘corePHP’. I will try to outline them below:
- Is ‘corePHP’ still going to support the product
- ‘corePHP’ will be providing support via hourly support for the product. Since the product will now be available for free via github we will be charging hourly for the support of the product or issues that customers may have with the product.
- What if I purchased Community ACL?
- Those who have purchased Community ACL will still receive the same basic support until the end of the subscription. After the subscription has expired then further support will be at our hourly charge.
- Is ‘corePHP’ going to abandon the product?
- With any product that has a shelf life it is difficult to answer this. We will be discontinuing development for the product as of August 15th 2011 but we will continue to keep updated packages available for download based on any updates made on github or contributions made by any contributors.
- Why is ‘corePHP’ not going to be selling Community ACL anymore?
- ‘corePHP’ currently has their eyes set on a variety of high level products and projects. Managing and continually developing for Community ACL puts a large demand on our development team. We are now looking for you, our fellow developers, to contribute code to the project and to keep Community ACL alive.
- What is the cost of Community ACL to download and what is the cost of support?
- To download Community ACL you can visit https://github.com/corePHP/community_acl or register to our site and download the latest build for free.
- Support will be provided at an hourly rate of $85/hr. This includes bug fixes, feature enhancements, modifications, etc.
We thank everyone for understanding as this has not been an easy decision. We look forward to providing you more high quality products that will enrich your website and we look forward to Community ACL breathing new light in the open source community.