One of the primary responsibilities during website development & marketing lies in picking a SEO-friendly and credible website hosting service. Yes, it might sound cliché, but your website hosting practically constitutes the very fundamental of your site’s success.
Below are some tips and advice on finding the perfect web hosting service:
Step One: Define basic parameters
Basic terminologies on web hosting
3 forms of web hosting services:
- Dedicated (Managed) web hosting- In case of dedicated web hosting services, you will lease one whole physical server which you aren’t going to share with anybody. The two main advantages of dedicated hosting are flexibility & control as well as reliability & speed.
- Virtual private server hosting- Here you would be leasing one distinct virtual server- which is a physical server split into separate individual parts. Its main advantage is independence from the other customers in VPS service regarding settings and software yet at a lesser cost to any dedicated server. The disadvantage is that VPS clients share similar IP addresses along with other sites which sit on similar physical server. It implies similar digital certificate & probably bad neighborhood worries.
- Shared hosting- This is where you are sharing the server with various sites. The main advantage is that it’s the most economical hosting option. The main disadvantage is that the service is restricted in space, resources & features- you would also need to share IP addresses along with other unknown sites.
Bandwidth- It’s the sum of the data transfer (GB) which you would be using every month. Your website visitors would utilize the bandwidth as traffic shifts from the server to internet & vice versa. Every time some image placed on a server gets loaded in browser, data would be transferred & thus bandwidth- it basically implies, more users you’re expecting, higher would be your needed bandwidth. 5GB of bandwidth shall be sufficient for moderate traffic in a medium-sized website.
Disk space- It refers to sum of data one could store in his server. These days most of the hosting packages allow vast disk space. But you must know that in case you’re planning a simple blog or site, 3 GB disk space will be more than sufficient.
Operating system- 2 standard hosting systems are Windows and Linux. The latter one is a conventional choice with maximum providers since it’s mostly cheaper & friendly with several Open-Source applications & scripts.
Control Panel- every hosting service offers some control-panel where one would add his configure settings and domains. Cpanel is most common for hosting services today.
Some SEO-specific terminologies you should know here are-
- IP address- It’s the unique code that identifies location of server over internet. In case one is on VPS or shared server, the site should share an IP address along with many sites. If one is on dedicated hosting server, he will get a distinct IP address.
- Server location-Google takes note of a server’s physical location whilst ranking a site in both general and local search. Thus, if one is creating site for local business & expects audience to search by location, he should settle with a nearby hosting provider.
- Uptime- It refers to percentage of the time the server (& site) must be “up” & running. The uptime is a vital SEO-relevant metric. Google won’t be ranking your site high in case it’s down or often unavailable. The best hosting companies guarantee minimum 99 percent uptime.
Some useless terms you shouldn’t mind while choosing hosting package-
- Free of cost site builder- You won’t need any given that there are so many easily installable & operable site platforms such as WordPress. Besides, most of these Free of cost site builders aren’t that flexible and SEO-friendly.
- Search-Engine visibility- You should know that any site which is for public would be visible on search engines- no additional effort is needed from hosting services here.
Step Two- Find Hosting reviews & feedback
You must go through customers’ reviews on various web hosting services since it’s always smarter to know what real users have to say regarding the service. With more and more people coming to public boards and social media, it’s near to impossible to fake feedback.
You should be careful about-
- Frequent security issues- Inappropriately managed hosts are most often under attack by hackers & hence your site will generally have issues being tagged as one “which could harm computer”- that would also dramatically deplete click through & would damage your reputation over the web.
- Client support feedback- Each of the hosting providers might fail some times yet the very availability of client service & speed of resolving client issues- define a reliable client service provider.
Some invaluable search tools-
Twitter accounts for a great database of the most recent client reviews. Search on your chosen hosting provider’s name & Twitter would greet you with several feedbacks. You can take to rant search here. Just type the provider’s name followed by a “L” to find out dissatisfied reviews.
A lot of site owners frequent forums to ask or answer questions & share experiences. A good forum search-engine example would be Omgili the points to several forums while you are searching for related discussions. You would find-
- How many individuals took part in discussion & number of overall posts.
- Scan across actual snippets which mention the verse one has searched for.
Social-media search & Sentiment Analysis Combo
Scanning each of the social networking sites for user feedback can be really time-consuming. Thus, you can take to Social Mention – you simply need to pick the source you wish to begin from & browse from one tab to another to switch in between varied sources.