If you are a website owner, then you might have faced this question at least once, “Is your website safe?”
Though you might have not been directly asked by someone else, you might have at one point asked yourself this question. And you should, for this is a serious matter that you need to take care of.
In a world like this, where even the most secure websites are being challenged by smart and intelligent hackers, you should definitely make sure that you have taken enough measures to make your website secure from a majority of hackers.
To give you a rough idea of how smart these hackers are, let me state an incident which I came across recently.
A few days ago, a hacker outsmarted some of the trained employees at GoDaddy and PayPal, to grab a customer’s personal data, take control of his GoDaddy account which had access to all his domain names, and then stole away his Twitter account worth about $50,000. You can read the full story here.
Now that you know the potential of these hackers, you should start making your website safer. However, before moving onto the steps to make your website secure, have a look at the following infographic created on this topic by our friends at WhoIsHostingThis which will give you a clearer idea on how websites are being hacked and why you need to make yours secure.
- If your website uses a CMS like WordPress and Joomla then do update them as soon as a latest version arrives.
- Always check the full details and reviews about the extensions/plugins you want to install before you install them.
- Host your website on a good server. The hosting company providing the server need not to be popular, they should be clean and should provide good service. One such hosting company is A Small Orange.
- Remove unused extension/plugins and templates.
- Use strong passwords for your website admin panel, server control panel and FTP. Don’t use these types of passwords.
- Backup your entire website.
Some recommended articles on improving website security,
- 15 Advanced Security Tips To Make Your WordPress Site Bulletproof
- Your Best Tricks To Protect WordPress From Hackers
- Joomla Security Tips & Plugins – Strengthen Your Joomla Site’s Security
We at ‘corePHP’ have always helped our readers and clients in making the best of their Joomla and WordPress powered websites through our different services and we hope that you will find these resources helpful for maintaining a secure website.