Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can provide many benefits to e-commerce businesses. This digital marketing strategy is paramount to attaining a successful online presence. However, it involves more than just choosing the right keywords and adding internal and external links to your content.
A successful SEO marketing campaign includes consistent search engine ranking monitoring, mobile optimization, and keyword performance evaluation geared towards attaining a more profitable e-commerce business.
Here are some of the many ways SEO can benefit your e-commerce business.
SEO Helps Boost Your Online Presence
One of the primary purposes of using SEO is to increase website visibility in search engines like Google and Safari. When done right, your SEO-friendly web pages can rank higher on search engine result pages (SERPs), which means more people will click on your website.
If your content consists mostly of blog posts, there are plenty of SEO tools that can help you create articles that are optimized for search engine ranking. You can also try to run SEO tests to see what will work best for the topics you chose.
If you’re wondering what is SEO testing all about, it’s one way to get helpful insights into your e-commerce website’s traffic, which reflects the level of visibility of your business to online shoppers. It allows business owners to run tests on content changes before they’re implemented to see how such changes will impact traffic and conversion, or specifically, how they’ll affect the click-through rate or CTR.
The CTR pertains to the percentage of online visitors who clicked on the links of your web pages in search engine results pages. The higher your CTR rate, the higher your online exposure. For e-commerce, this means more potential customers.
SEO Helps You Target The Right Audience
If your e-commerce website has a lot of visitors but has poor conversion rates, then perhaps you’re attracting the wrong audience. A carefully planned SEO strategy will help you target the right audience and bring them to your website, which will boost your traffic and conversion.
By using keywords that your typical target consumers use to search for products and services like yours, you’re creating a bridge that can take them to your doorsteps. When these keywords appear on your web content, your website will have a higher chance of appearing on the first few pages of SERPs, and more chances to be clicked on by potential customers who have an intention to make a purchase.
To find the perfect keywords that’ll help you attract the right audience, you can start by doing the following:
- Keyword Research: There are tools that can help you find the best keywords for your content. This is particularly useful when writing blog articles or product descriptions, so users who search for specific keywords can be pointed directly to the page you want them to see. Keyword research also lets you know if the keywords you want to use have a significant search volume, and if they’re easy or difficult to pursue.
- Link Building: This is an off-page SEO strategy where you’ll need to collaborate with other websites to get more exposure, typically through guest posting, where links to your website are placed on their web content and promoted to their readers, which are ideally the same or similar to your target audience. In other words, you’re leveraging on another website’s audience to get more visitors to your linked page, and if the website that promotes your links have a significant number of users, you’ll likely get more visitors from it too.
SEO Helps To Increase Authority
The insights you can get from SEO tools can give you a chance to eventually achieve a higher domain authority score. The keyword suggestions you’ll get from SEO tools can be used as leads to the most common questions of users in a particular niche. To use it to your advantage, use these common questions to create content that’s more informative than your competitors’ content on the same topic.
This means your content should provide detailed and straightforward answers, which will also help to build trust with your audience, and subsequently lead them to trust your brand and your products and services.
Eventually, your credibility in your niche will make consumers see your brand as a leader in your field, and more consumers will turn to your brand when they need products and services similar to yours.
Here’s how you can start using SEO to create better content and build your website’s authority:
- Check Your Competitor’s Top Keywords: There are keyword research tools that’ll show you the top keywords that your competitors are specifically ranking for. These are the keywords that are helping them rank higher, typically through their web content where the keywords are used. If you want to rank for the same keywords, see how they’re using them, find ways to improve them, and implement them on your website.
- Explore Keyword Suggestions: SEO keyword tools may also show you related topics and keyword suggestions, which you should explore to find more interesting topics that your competitors may not have used yet.
- Create Better Content: Plan an improved version of all the high-ranking content you’ve found from your competitors. Add more details and more updated information that they may be lacking, using the same keywords that they’re ranking for.
SEO Helps Drive E-Commerce Sales
Because effective SEO helps to convert more visitors into paying customers, you get more sales and revenue in return. If you can better understand and master the methods that help e-commerce websites grow faster, you’ll eventually be able to create strategies that best suit your target consumers.
An effective SEO strategy will also help drive more potential customers to your sales funnel. Start by consistently monitoring and analyzing your SEO strategies and results, and use the data you gather to revise and improve your methods.
Carefully planned SEO strategies can benefit e-commerce businesses in unlimited and unimaginable ways. The long-term benefits are priceless with continuous SEO testing and strategic implementation. With SEO, you can boost your online visibility and traffic, which in turn improves search engine ranking, conversion, and sales for your business.
Heather Anderson is an SEO tech specialist. She also writes content for SEO online resources. She enjoys cooking and gardening in her free time. Heather also loves travel, music, and sports.