Tag Archives: fix

How to work with IE9

By now, I’m sure everyone has choked back a tear or two at the final release of Internet Explorer 9. We immediately started getting support requests asking why their websites look broken in this new ‘revolutionary’ browser (hard to say that with a straight face.) Yes, we are again submerged into Microsoft hell, needing to find fixes for yet another browser. We have done a lot of legwork figuring out the best way to handle supporting this IE9 so we wanted to share the information we have learned to make developing (a little) easier.

Continue reading

Joomla! 1.5.12 Bug

Today I found a bug in Joomla! 1.5.12 while working on a project. Since I have been developing this project on my computer at home, I had it installed on Joomla 1.5.11. Yesterday I completely finished the extension and decided to test it in a different environment, so I installed a new Joomla! development site on a live server. At this point I realized that Joomla 1.5.12 had been released, so I went through the simple installation process and installed the extension I had been working on. This is where the problems started.

Continue reading

Forcing IE7 display in IE8 (updated)

I have been developing for IE8 since it was first released. Although they say it’s a final build, it’s actually in a late beta stage. There are several key CSS commands that haven’t been completed yet (such as :first-letter) and some calculations that still aren’t right in the browser. This is why they built the compatibility mode into it. This creates a major issue for web developers because any conditional statements for IE8 that are put in will break the page once it is fixed. I have thought about every possible fix and the only reasonable solution that I’ve found is… kill it!

Continue reading